Tumblr is a big conversation. Or, more accurately, a whole lot of different and overlapping conversations. It’s different from platforms like Blogger or Wordpress in that regard.
Following someone’s personal Tumblr usually means you’re trying to join their conversation. It’s more personal and interactive than subscribing to an RSS feed or following someone on Blogger or Wordpress. Doing that when they don’t want you to is invasive.
It can be confusing to sort out what’s what sometimes. Reblogging something enters a conversation, and it can bring a lot of people into the conversation who the original poster hadn’t intended to talk to. Sometimes this is ok, and sometimes it isn’t.
Sometimes reblogging something can attract a pile of angry people to attack someone. Sometimes it can attract a pile of angry people who don’t understand what the OP meant and don’t want to.
When someone appears not to want to talk to you, it’s usually better to stop reblogging their posts and start your own posts instead.
When you don’t want to talk to someone, it’s a good idea to block them. That won’t stop them from reading what you say, but it will mean they can’t message you and you won’t see them. That can make it possible not to get sucked in.
All of this is public in some sense — but it’s not public in the sense that a newspaper is public. It’s public in the sense that having a conversation while walking down the street is public. In that, it’s not ok to follow people around or join their conversation if not invited to do so. But people don’t have a resonable expectation of secrecy, either.
Some Tumblrs are really public. This one, for instance. I’m talking to anyone who wants to listen. But when people aren’t, it’s best to leave them alone.
- alackofpetticoats likes this
- unassuminglighthouse likes this
- awesome-everyday likes this
- gummy-buns reblogged this from elfstaranymore
- fallingivy reblogged this from elfstaranymore
- fallingivy likes this
- tonightdinnerisyou likes this
- elfstaranymore reblogged this from realsocialskills
- collectorofcatsandbooks likes this
- asgardfarnsworth likes this
- femmescerek likes this
- thingsineededtoknow reblogged this from realsocialskills
- thecolorsky reblogged this from realsocialskills
- magpieohmy reblogged this from realsocialskills
- imelizabethh likes this
- bessibels reblogged this from realsocialskills
- retoxx likes this
- sesame-cake likes this
- brassmanticore likes this
- neurostorm likes this
- hydro-dragon likes this
- vickyhellhound likes this
- kinthulou likes this
- creativecrush likes this
- heartvice likes this
- aloha-baltan likes this
- myrddinwylt reblogged this from arthurfemmedragon
- doomburger reblogged this from arthurfemmedragon
- mijookie-inactive reblogged this from poisondartwolf
- scratborg reblogged this from realsocialskills
- antireal likes this
- euphrosyniaheterodyne likes this
- cassandy reblogged this from realsocialskills
- punkkitten likes this
- heatherinanutshell likes this
- intellectual-carrot likes this
- rnaxie likes this
- poisondartwolf reblogged this from realsocialskills
- poorlifechoicesblog likes this
- peridexis likes this
- tiredcactus likes this
- snookumnoodles reblogged this from oxycontinued
- leastsaid likes this
- khoshekhs likes this
- officialjeffgoldblum likes this
- arthurfemmedragon reblogged this from realsocialskills
- oakaxxiii likes this
- scarredskinandsacredsoul reblogged this from realsocialskills
- oxycontinued reblogged this from realsocialskills
- kiriamaya likes this