A reader asked:
I’m just curious why is an autism expert the last person you’d go to.
Because ‘autism experts’ are taught things like this:
- Autistic people are mind-blind and can’t understand emotions
- And need intense social skills training, or
- Don’t quite reach adulthood ever, or
- Should be steered into STEM majors, or
- Need intense ABA in order to make them look normal, or
- All think in pictures, or
- Any number of other stereotypes
- Many of them also do things like routinely prescribe anti-psychotics to autistic people
That’s pretty much dealbreaking in terms of trusting them. Among other reasons.