- It’s possible to have credentials without being an expert.
- It’s possible to be an expert without having credentials.
Some specific examples
- Someone with Special Autism Training isn’t necessarily an expert in communicating with autistic people
- It’s actually likely that they’ve been thoroughly taught to be incapable of doing so
- People with rare medical conditions often know things most doctors they encounter don’t
- Someone with a college degree might not know as much as someone who studied the same subject privately
This doesn’t mean credentials are irrelevant – but they only tell you so much. Don’t confuse them with expertise.