When you don’t want to give the reason for saying no, and the other person is pressuring you, what is a polite way to get them to stop?
- “Thank you for your suggestion. I’ll think about it”.
- “Maybe; let me get back to you.”
- “I’ll have to think about that.”
- “I have to leave now. Nice talking to you.”
- “Thank you, but I’m not interested, and I don’t want to talk about this further.”
Sometimes you can also just change the subject and ignore anything they say about the thing they’re demanding reasons about. This can be especially effective if there’s something they will usually take any opportunity to discuss. That doesn’t work in all situations, but it does work sometimes.
Basically, though, it’s not always possible to defend boundaries politely. It’s ok to be rude when you need to be in order to protect your boundaries. No one has to be polite all the time at all costs.